Monday, March 28, 2011

Parties and Taxes

It's almost my birthday. I love birthdays. Well, I used to anyway. I used to celebrate for a whole "birthday week" and secretly hope every year I'd get a big surprise party. I loved any excuse for a party! It's not like that so much anymore, though. I still like birthdays, but they seem to get less exciting as the numbers go up, don't they?

But you know who else loves my birthday? Uncle Sam!

Why?? My birthday is April 15th. Tax Day.

And here's why I am thinking of tax day today. I finally did my taxes this year. I usually get them done by mid-February, but it took me a bit longer this year. I have a photo business on the side and this year I preferred procrastinating to trying to crunch all the business and personal accounting numbers that needed crunching before taxes could be filed. But the point is I did it. Finally. And you need to do yours before my birthday.

And here's why I'm talking about it here...
Let me share a little more about us. We've always tithed. The Bible says we should, and we do. Of course, the Bible says we should do lots of things and we try but fail in so many of them. This one however, this command, is one we've always worked hard to follow. God even asks us to test him in this in Malachi 3:10. Go ahead and read about it. "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it." Pretty cool, huh? How can we not do it when God makes that promise? Anyway, we tithe to our church, but when we get extras (like tax refunds - 'cause we already tithe on the gross income) we look for good causes to give to....like IJM.

And yes, we still need your support. Every dollar counts and no amount is too small. Please prayerfully consider giving to help us as we leave for Cambodia in just a few short weeks. If you get a tax refund, consider giving a portion of it. And hey, if you find another cause that speaks to you more strongly than ours, then give to that. God will bless you for giving wherever you give. It doesn't have to be us. We know God will provide for us! Also, for those who aren't lucky enough to get refunds and instead OWE money in taxes, maybe making a tax-deductible donation in 2011 will help you out next year? : )

Just a thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment